25 Apr That’s My Style cheat sheet : The fedora hat – a stylish solution
Are you wanting to add a fedora hat to your winter wardrobe? If you do choose to wear a fedora, don’t apologize for wearing it. If you are not confident, there’s a chance that the hat will wear you.
I often mention to clients that a fashion hat is a great investment piece, especially for busy mums. Heading into winter, the best option right now is a felt fedora hat. There are plenty of stylish options on the market at all different price points.
What exactly is a fedora?
A fedora is a felt hat with a wide brim and indented crown. It is typically creased lengthwise down the crown and “pinched” near the front on both sides.
According to That’s My Style, there are no real rules to follow when buying or wearing a fedora, but some tips that will help are:
- Make sure the hat fits well and feels comfortable before you purchase it. If your hat is too tight or constantly falls off your head, you’re not going to want to wear it.
- Choose a trim that matches your style. There are lots of great options with leather, ribbon and metal trims.
- Select a colour and texture that will work hard in your wardrobe. Neutrals like black, grey and camel are popular, but don’t shy away from bottle green or navy if they will work back with knits, scarves or jackets in your wardrobe.
- Try wearing your fedora with a maxi or knee length dress that has a bold print. Add boots and cropped leather jacket for a casual, fun and flirty look.
- The fedora is a great way to add height, especially when paired with dark denim jeans and heels.
Best plan of action is to go into stores and try them on. Does the colour flatter your skin tone? Will it work back with your current wardrobe? Does the shape of the brim suit the shape of your face? If you answer yes……then you can confidently invest.
A good quality Wool felt fedora hat can be purchased from between $80-$150. The hats featured below are all under $100 and can be found at David Jones. They are all 100% wool felt.
If you don’t want to spend a lot, then you can’t go past the hats at Rubi shoes. They start for as little as $19.95. Check them out here
Use your fedora to your advantage. If you’re running late for school drop off or didn’t have time to style your hair, use your fedora to cover up. Add to your jeans and basic tee. Throw on a cool pair of sunglasses and nobody has to know how late you stayed up the night before or that you slept in.
It’s the perfect ( and stylish ) solution to a multitude of follicular sins.
INSPIRATION LOOKS VIA PINTEREST